About The Bison Group
The Bison Group, LLC is a Kansas based public relations and political consulting firm that was founded in 2011 and is based out of Kansas City, KS. Since our founding we have become a regional provider of campaign and legislative services and have members of our team based out of Kansas City, Topeka, and Wichita.
We provide full-scale online and traditional campaign/ legislative consulting services for our clients. We can handle everything from building you a website and creating your campaign’s branding / literature to running an aggressive field / online media program and everything in-between.
We use our nationwide contacts to provide our clients with the highest quality services. You can find our more information about the services we offer or see examples of our work by continuing to explore our website or you can contact us directly via email.
About Our Team
Colin Curtis – Managing Partner
Colin is a Kansas City, KS native. He grew up in a highly politically active family and as a result has been working on campaigns since he was 10. During his high school years at Sumner Academy of Arts and Science, Colin was highly involved in competitive speaking/ debate and after graduating he went on to debate at Kansas State University.
At the end of his sophomore year, Colin transferred to Washburn University in order to be more involved in Kansas politics by taking a job in Kansas State Treasurer Dennis McKinney’s office.
During this time Colin also served as the State President for the Kansas Young Democrats; the Midwest Region Director for the Young Democrats of America; and the Webmaster for the Young Democrats of America.
After leaving the State Treasurer’s office, Colin worked on strategic communications for multiple Kansas based lobbying firms on a variety of legislative issues.
In 2011, Colin founded The Bison Group and began to focus his efforts on lobbying and campaign consulting.
In May of 2012, Colin graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Washburn University and shortly after became the Special Projects Director for the Kansas Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley’s Office. Assignments were primarily focused on the 5th Senate District (Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties) for Kelly Kultala; 6th Senate District (Wyandotte and Johnson Counties) for Pat Pettey in both the primary and general elections.
Colin currently works as the ICD Coordinator for the United Steelworkers of America (USW), Local 307 in Topeka, KS – and maintains his position here at The Bison Group, in Kansas City, KS.
Campaign and Elections Magazine recently name Colin one of their “Influencers 500″
Colin Curtis, president, The Bison Group – Curtis has ties to state lawmakers and labor making him a formidable lobbyist and campaign advisor.
Levi Henry – Partner
Originally from rural Northeast Kansas, Levi now calls Wichita home. Levi has 15 years of experience in Kansas Democratic politics, getting his start on Tom Sawyer’s gubernatorial campaign in 1998. Levi is the proud father of two children, Eve Marie (“Evie”) and Joe – named after his maternal grandparents Evelyn and the late Joe Henry, Jr. of Goff, Kansas. Levi has a Bachelors of Science in Political Science from Kansas State University (2001); and received his JD from Washburn Law with Dean’s Honors (2004).
- 2004 – Served as NEK Field Director for the Kansas House Democrats (Kansans for a Democratic House PAC) in Jackson, Brown, Nemaha, Atchison, Pottawatomie and Shawnee Counties.
- 2005 – Served as Director Election Reform for the Crawford County Clerk, the Chief Election Officer for Crawford County, Kansas.
- 2006 – Worked on the campaigns of Steve Lukert for the former 61st House District (Nemaha and Brown Counties) and Dennis Phillips in the former 50th House District (Jackson and Shawnee Counties).
- 2008 – Served as Special Projects Director for Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley. Assignments were to the 5th Senate District (Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties) for Kelly Kultala in both the primary and general elections; 13th Senate District (Cherokee, Crawford and Bourbon Counties in Southeast Kansas); and the 1st Senate District (Jackson, Brown, Pottawatomie, Atchison and Doniphon Counties in Northeast Kansas).
- 2010 - Served as consultant for the Working Kansas Alliance (formerly the Kansas Coalition for Workplace Safety), a start-up Union solidarity organization that brought Union organizations from different internationals, including the Kansas AFL-CIO, Teamsters, KNEA and SEIU, to a single table so that organized labor spoke in unison on issues of critical importance emerging from the often anti-Union Kansas Legislature.
- 2010 – Served as Wichita and Sedgwick County Senior Point for Kansans for a Democratic House (KDH) in a dozen races stretching over a large swath of South Central Kansas, including in the 80th House District successful re-election bid of Rep. Vince Wetta (Wellington); 86th House District successful re-election bid of Rep. Judith Loganbill (Wichita); the 96th House District election bid of challenger Brandon Whipple (Wichita) (subsequently elected in 2012 in a revised 96th House District); and the 84th House district successful primary only (re-election) of Rep. Gail Finney (Wichita) (Gail won the very same race from 2008 by 601 to 89, a more than 40 percent improvement over her 2008 totals).
- 2011 – Served organizer and consultant for Keeping the Kansas Promise, Inc. (“KKP”), an organization of both Union and non-Union organizations representing individuals who are members of the Kansas Public Employee Retirement System for teachers, state employees and police and fire subdivision of the pension program. KKP, over a one-year period, including mid-term committee work, was able to stop conservatives in the Kansas Governor’s Office and in the Kansas Legislature from converting the KPERS defined benefit program into a defined contribution program, which would cost Kansas taxpayers $30 billion more and significantly reduce the retirement security of thousands of Kansas public employees.
- 2012 – Senior Advisor, Humphrey for Senate, 28th Senate District (South Wichita & North Derby).